Monday, December 3, 2012

Old Town Spring Historical Marker


       I have lived in Texas little over a year now and only live about 15 minutes from Old Town Spring. Just recently was my first time going to Old Town Spring. To be honest I probably wouldn’t have gone yet if it wasn’t for our living history journal project. I enjoyed the time I had there though. I originally went to Old Town Spring to see the civil war museum but when I was driving up I saw a historical marker sign. My husband parked the vehicle and we went to look at the plaque. It was in front of this little museum that said Spring History Museum. The plaque gave a little story of how Spring came to be. It stated that it was originally a farming area for sugar and cotton. But Spring began to grow because of the railroad. Many German settlers came to this area and there is still a strong German heritage around. When walking around the city it is noticeable that there is still German heritage due to the type of shops on the streets. The plaque goes on to state how the railroad made the city expand and the production of lumber became prominent. It also mentions that the Spring School District was created in 1907 after they divided the land into commercial and residential areas. The decrease of population in Spring began with the Prohibition of the 1920s. The plaque lastly states that the population began to increase again in the 1970s and that it continues to attract new residents.
After looking at the plaque I went inside to see the history of Old Town Spring. There were many artifacts in this small one roomed building. It has tall presentation like boards with the families that first arrived in Spring. It also had showcases of artifacts from the beginning of the town. Overall it was very interesting to look at. I am not entirely into history that much but being able to see when and how a city began was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment