Monday, December 3, 2012

Nine Patch Quilt


                For one of the living history projects I decided to make a nine patch quilt. I did some history and in the nineteenth century it was very common for young women to patch quilts while heading west. These young women were about the age of 12 when they became efficient at quilting.
After hand stitching this blanket I learned that I will most likely not do it again. It took me six hours just to make the front piece. I had to take a break after that cause my stitches were starting to be too large. The second day I sewed on the back piece and put a small amount of stuffing inside. I only made a 3’ by 3’ blanket. When doing research I noticed that these girls were doing larger blankets. This was also my first time sewing so it probably did not take them as long. I enjoy the finished product but was not a big fan during the sewing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment