Sunday, December 2, 2012

Family History


While looking for my family history, I believed it would be a difficult task. I was completely wrong. I called my father and he told me that he had information stating he could trace his mother’s side of the family back to the 1490s and his father side of the family back to the 1650s here in America. My paternal great-grandfather’s brother’s grandson (if that makes any sense) Phillip Burlingame researched most of my paternal grandfather’s family history. He even has an entire website that shows our history of the first Burlingame that came to America. The biography Phillip made of our ancestors gives great detail about how our family came to be in the “New World”.  I am a 14th descendant of this man to live in America. His name is Roger Burlingame. His reason for coming here was due to him being a Captain in the British Military. Burlingame was originally Burlingham in England but when Roger came to America it changed. After reading Phillip’s website and doing some more research, I noticed how large my family was. Not only was it incredibly large but they liked to use the same names for children which made it very confusing to follow the family tree. I can trace the Burlingame fathers all the way back to Roger in direct connection to me. Its starts with Roger, then Thomas, Moses, Moses (unsure if jr or not), Silas, Josiah, Isaac, Hiram, Herman Leroy, Clifford Herman, Elvin (Finny), Edwin Leroy, Don Alan (my father), and then me, well my brother is the next male in line.
Now on my paternal grandmother’s side information was more difficult. My grandmother’s maiden name was Tischler, so we knew that the family originated in Hungary. The spelling was Tisler before coming to America when my great great grandfather decided to change the name on his children’s birth certificates to the American way of spelling Tischler. His name was Jan Tisler (pronounced ‘yawn’ tish-ler). He is as far back as anyone in my family has been able to trace to America. None of us have gone to Europe to figure out how much further we would be able to go back. Jan had a son named Edward Aloyisious Tischler who married Catherine Frances Sporck. They had a child named Georgiana Emily who is my grandmother. Although it is difficult to find information on the Tischler side of the family, someone in my family (unsure of whom), traced the Sporck side of the family back to the 1490s. Unfortunately I only have scattered pieces of that family tree and know that somehow it started with a Williamson in Europe (well at least as far as I was told).
Now that was just my father’s side of the family. My mother’s side is has barely any information. I could only get information dating back to my great grandparents. All of my great grandparents were U.S citizens and I am unsure of when that side of my family arrived to America. My maternal grandfather’s name is Edwin Ford Miller. He was one of three children of Lawrence Miller. Wife’s name is unknown because she passed away before any of my remaining relatives met her. The research I did also did not lead to any information on her. My maternal grandmother’s name is Joanne Marie Miller. She was one of two children of O.V. Jeannie Slayten and Frank Ward. Frank adopted my grandmother and her biological father’s last name was Wayne. No further information was able to be found.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your site and was happy to learn that my extensive family history research into our shared ancestors was useful to you. Best wishes as you continue your own work on other ancestral lines and in passing along the legacies of our family history to future generations. - Philip Burlingame

    ReplyDelete